Featuring cherita!


July 23, 2010

Poetry Friday--"A Soft Day"


By time this posts, I'll be miles away from home up in the farthest northern part of New Hampshire. It'll be nice to get away for a few days. Even if it rains, there's a porch, and I have a book (make that a dozen books) that I should be reading.

For today I'll share this poem by Winifred M. Letts called "A Soft Day," which explains some of the delights of a rainy summer's day.
      A soft day, thank God!
      A wind from the south
      With a honey'd mouth;
      A scent of drenching leaves,
      Briar and beech and lime,
      White elderflower and thyme,

And the soaking grass smells sweet,
Crushed by my two bare feet,
      While the rain drips,
Drips, drips, drips from the eaves.

      A soft day, thank God!
      The hills wear a shroud
      Of silver cloud;
      The web the spider weaves
      Is a glittering net;
      The woodland path is wet,

And the soaking earth smells sweet
Under my two bare feet,
      And the rain drips,
Drips, drips, drips from the leaves.

A little bit of information about Winifred Letts can be found here.

The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being held at Language, Literacy, Love. I'll have to catch up on all the P.F. posts when I get home on Sunday. Have a great weekend.

Photo by uneduex

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Diane, for sharing a little of your vacation with us by giving us a "soft day".

    Happy reading!

    Laura Evans

    ReplyDelete
  2. a lovely read thanks for sharing Winifred Letts

    I invite you to the CKK15 follow up, here...
    http://tinyurl.com/27cyc6a


    much love
    gillena

    ReplyDelete