Featuring cherita!


April 29, 2011

Poetry Friday--Poetry Exercises



A recent advice column, "Ask a Poet: Break a Sweat," by Kristen Hoggatt at The Smart Set, provides an answer to this question:
I’ve never been much of an exerciser but I’m trying shed some of my winter weight for the summer. I hate gyms with a passion. Could you please make me up a workout routine that doesn't involve going to the gym, preferably involving poetry?
— Sara
You'll find some Amelia Bedelia type poetry exercises. And, you'll also be treated to a poem by Lucille Clifton titled "homage to my hips."

If you have more time to kill, there's lots of poetry advice in past "Ask a Poet" columns.

Speaking of exercise, visit The Poetry Resource Page for more traditional poetry exercises for toning up your creative muscles. Here's one more--use the photo above, taken around 1899, as a prompt.

Tabatha Yeatts: The Opposite of Indifference is hosting the Round-Up today. Stop by!

Photo courtesy Library of Congress.

1 comment: