Featuring cherita!


September 23, 2011

Poetry Friday--The Autumnal Equinox


This year, the autumnal equinox occurs today, the 23rd. For many people we are heading into their favorite time of year. Not me. I'm a spring girl, myself. But, that doesn't mean I don't appreciate the show of color that will be arriving here shortly in southern New Hampshire. Here's a poem by Annie Finch to welcome the equinox.

Crown of Autumn Leaves

For Mabon (fall equinox), Sept. 21

Our voices press
from us
and twine
around the year's
fermenting wine


Yellow fall roars
Over the ground.
Loud, in the leafy sun that pours
Liquid through doors,
Yellow, the leaves twist down

as the winding
of the vine
pulls our curling
voices—


Glowing in wind and change,
The orange leaf tells

How one more season will alter and range,
Working the strange
Colors of clamor and bells

Read the rest here.

I'm proud to announce that I'm an Advisory Board member of a new organization, founded by Steven Withrow, Poetry Advocates for Children and Young Adults. Visit Poetry at Play, the blog of PACYA, "like" the Facebook page, and join in the fun.

Visit Picture Book of the Day for the Poetry Friday Round-Up.

Photo by hichako.

5 comments:

  1. how well the word choice of captures the vibrancy of autumn colours


    much love..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that line:
    the leafy sun that pours
    Liquid through doors,

    Thanks for participating in Poetry Friday this week!

    :-) Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the New Organization - I searched for it on FB and liked the page as well.

    I love how all Poetry Friday posts seems to bring me gloriously to autumn although I am technically stuck in a whole-year-round summer.

    These are my favorite lines:
    Yellow fall roars
    Over the ground.
    Loud, in the leafy sun that pours
    Liquid through doors,
    Yellow, the leaves twist down

    - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, I don't know if I could stand a year-round summer. Do trees lose their leaves all year long?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely poem, Diane. Thanks for posting it. And yes, hooray for PACYA!!!

    ReplyDelete