Featuring cherita!


February 15, 2013

Poetry Friday--What Was In Your Mailbox?

Was your mailbox full of Valentines yesterday? I hope so!


© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

I posted another Valentine's Day haiga on Sunday. If you missed it, click here.

Yesterday, the Cybils Awards were announced. I was part of the judging team for the Poetry Award. I'm happy to say that the winner is BookSpeak! by Laura Purdie Salas (illustrations by Josée Bisaillon)! What a nice gift in her virtual mailbox!

For me, the whimsy in BookSpeak! really stood out. Who would have thought someone would write a poem from the point of view of an index? Certainly not me, but, it worked! And, it just might get a kid to pick up a book, and for once, notice an index!

Coupled with the book's illustration and design, the poems are just plain fun! Here's an example:
Cliffhanger

I'm on a cliff--
far down I see
sharp rocks jut out,
waves wait for me.

I feel the edge
beneath my toe.
It's crumbling from
the harsh wind's blow.

Is this the end?

This breath my last?

Please, author, write
a sequel fast!
Congratulations, Laura!

For the Round-Up this week, head over to TeacherDance.

8 comments:

  1. Cool how you used facebook to introduce some melancholy into your haiku here. Very nice job! And YAY for Laura's BookSpeak and the Cybils!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your haiga and its modern sadness. Thanks for sharing "Cliffhanger"--it's so unique and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! "Melancholy" and "modern sadness" are much better sounding than pathetic! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see Laura here, too, Diane! It was nice to work with you on the panel! Your haiga holds new, but deep truth, doesn't it? Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the haiga and the poem your chose from BookSpeak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jone! It was great working with you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, was pleased with the final round judges' choice. I'm proud to say we gave them a hard time of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thrilled for Laura. Her book was one of my favorite picture books of 2012. Well-deserved award.

    ReplyDelete