Featuring cherita!


April 18, 2018

Ekphrastic April, Day 18: "Self Portrait, the Artist Hesitating between the Arts of Music and Painting"

If you have a few minutes, take a look at the portraits of Angelica Kaufmann--what a collection of self-portraits!


"Self Portrait, the Artist Hesitating between the Arts of Music and Painting" (1794) by Angelica Kaufmann [1741-1807].

all things being equal

I would choose a life
of music over art

a painting may draw
a tear but a well-struck chord
will tear at my heart


© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I did look at her portraits, Diane. Sometimes it's hard to believe that someone could paint like that. I really don't have the proper words to describe art! Your cherita shows her mind, but it's difficult to believe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the homograph tear/tear!

    I think I'd choose art...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Diane - have had many tears from well-struck chords. I have also seen young children moved to tears from classical music - which also brought me to tears that they felt the beauty so deeply. What a gorgeous painting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your word play with tear, but I would not be able to chose. My mother is a pianist, my father an artist, so to choose would be choosing between my parents, impossible.

    ReplyDelete