Featuring cherita!


October 9, 2009

Poetry Friday--October

The Miss Rumphius Effect "Monday Poetry Stretch" was a challenge to write an October poem. I took the challenge, and not two minutes after I posted my effort (simply titled "October"), I wanted to go back and rewrite it. I didn't, of course, but what I did do was write another poem. This one I called "October Dusk." It was inspired by the geese that wrested my attention from an episode of Bones (the complete season 4 was released this week).

OCTOBER DUSK

The
lead goose's
stamina is tested by the
lack of uplift. Up, out, down.
Up, out, down--how many strokes
in 1,000 miles? The honks grow louder--point,
counterpoint--honks strong, distinct. The
encouragement continues as the leader

falls
back, his position quickly
assumed by another. Up, out, down.
How many strokes...
The honk, honk, honk,
goes on--honk,
honk, honk

honk

hon...

h...

fading
into
the
night.

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved

Make sure you check out the inspired/inspiring October poems at The Miss Rumphius Effect. And also check out the Poetry Friday Round-Up at Picture Book of the Day.

3 comments:

  1. LOVELY! The shape and the sounds, the leaders changing places, the distance and the fading...perfect. You captured a passing V perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Diane. The point, counterpoint captures that their honking is like a conversation we overhear.

    The Canada geese honking by overhead is one of the clearest sounds of autumn and then spring here in Minnesota. I always pause to watch them wing by when I hear their cries.

    ReplyDelete