Featuring cherita!


November 20, 2009

Poetry Friday--Pumpkin Pie, Yum!

Photo by Deiru

In preparation for next Thursday, here's a stanza from "The Pumpkin" by John Greenleaf Whittier:
Ah! on Thanksgiving day, when from East and from West,
From North and from South comes the pilgrim and guest;
When the gray-haired New Englander sees round his board
The old broken links of affection restored;
When the care-wearied man seeks his mother once more,
And the worn matron smiles where the girl smiled before;
What moistens the lip and what brightens the eye,
What calls back the past, like the rich Pumpkin pie?

John Greenleaf Whittier's home in Massachusetts is a few miles from mine in New Hampshire, and yet, I've never been for visit! One of these days...

Visit the Poetry Friday Round-Up at The Drift Record.

I wish everyone a happy Thanksgiving holiday with plenty of pie for dessert!

6 comments:

  1. Right. I have a sudden urge to bake... yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Pumpkin pie for me is synonymous with Thanksgiving. Not so for my NH-born husband, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jama--check out my library blog on Monday where I will be suggesting alternatives to pumpkin pie.
    http://kuriouskitty.blogspot.com

    --Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's taken me years to re-learn to make pie gluten free. I am so looking forward to it over the next few months! I don't limit it to just one Thursday, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can keep the pumpkin, but bring on the "Karo nut pie" (aka pecan pie)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S.

    Love the poem you hid in Julie's comments!!!

    ReplyDelete