Featuring cherita!


November 19, 2010

Poetry Friday--The Round-Up Is Here!

Welcome to the Random Noodling edition of Poetry Friday Round-Up. To start things off I'd like to share a portion of a poem from "Book of Hours" by Kevin Young:
Soon the sound—

wind wills
its way against

the panes. Welcome
the rain.

Welcome
the moon's squinting

into space.
The trees

bow like priests.

The storm lifts
up the leaves.

Why not sing.
Read the rest here.

I read the last line as a question despite there being no question mark. Why not sing? Why indeed? There is so much to sing about at this time of year: gorgeous foliage, the upcoming holidays, even the weather!

Leave links to your Poetry Friday posts and I'll update throughout the day.

I'll begin the Round-Up with my other blogs: Kurious Kitty has decided not to post a poetry entry for today, instead she has included a short animation explaining why there will be no P.F. post. At KKs Kwotes, I have an awesome quote by Jean Cocteau.

Early bird Charles Ghigna was first with the poetry worm this morning! He has two original poems, one on the Artist Autumn at Father Goose, and a thought-provoking one at the Bald Ego on the "outer edges of truth."

At Great Kid Books Mary Ann Scheuer shares a Nikki Grimes poem, "Reward," from her collection Thanks a Million. Mary Ann also gives thanks to those who've enriched her life in so many ways.

Tabatha Yeatts has an original poem that she is submitting to Dr. Alphabet's Poetry City Marathon Anthology. You'll find it at The Opposite of Indifference, and you'll never look at poetry forms in the same way again!

Melissa at Through the Wardrobe has an original poem called "Crow." I love these lines: Calling, the intervals random,/only the tone predictable -/its broken yearning -

Toby Speed has a little black and white friend sharing hosting duties at The Writer's Armchair and she has an original poem, "Wondering" on the age-old question, why do cats purr?

At There's No Such Thing as A God-Forsaken Town, Ruth shares a Dickinson poem, "I Dwell in Possibility," and follows it up with a poem of her own, "Wave." Writing really does have therapeutic qualities!

Julie Larios at The Drift Record says: "Windfall apples are on my mind. So is my mom. So are boys eating apples, growing into young men who go to war. November thoughts." She shares a poem called "Apples" by Laurie Lee (I love the photo of the windfalls that accompanies it.)

Mary Lee takes a moment out from her NCTE conference in Orlando, to share "Hoppity" by A.A. Milne. And if you're not jumping after you've read it at A Year of Reading, then you need another cup of coffee!

Laura Salas shares two short poems from a collection by JonArno Lawson, Thank Again. So simple, yet so effective in expressing teen love and angst. I was really taken by "Frame, Mask and Mirror." And for the results of Laura's "15 Words of Less" exercise, this week titled "Those Dam Ibex," click here. (And yes, Laura, sheep can see 320-340 degrees!)

Kerry Aradhya has an interview with Jane Yolen and her daughter Heidi Stemple at Picture Books & Pirouettes. Kerry apologizes, "This may be cheating a little (since my post isn't directly about poetry)." No need to apologize, Kerry, John Dryden said, "Dancing is the poetry of the foot." And, it's all art!

At Carol's Corner she has a review of Ashley Bryan's newest work, All Things Bright and Beautiful, based on the hymn by Cecil Frances Alexander. Carol says, "WOW! WOW! WOW!" And after viewing the cover, I think she's right!

Elizabeth Alexander's luscious poem, "Butter," is featured at the Stenhouse Blog. I read that poem yesterday! What a coincidence!

Debbie Diller has Christina Rossetti's "What Are Heavy." Nice...

Jama Rattigan's Alphabet Soup shares "Thanksgiving Song" by David Steindl while remembering dear aunts/friends. Great lines from the poem: For winter, who strips trees to their basic design,/For stark, minimalist winter,/We give thanks.

At The Poem Farm, via NCTE in Orlanda, Amy has poem #25 in her series of poems about poems--secrets drawn in symmetry.

Castle in the Sea serves as the virtual home of Sally Thomas who today has an original November poem with these great last lines: Ten miles from Christmas Day,/A hundred miles from heaven.

Wendell Berry's "To My Mother" is featured at Karen Edmisten's blog today. ...And this, then,/is the vision of that Heaven of which/we have heard, where those who love/each other have forgiven each other, Ah, the SECRET!

Have you had enough gray November? If so, head over to Anastasia Suen's Picture Book of the Day where she introduces us to Smelly Bill: Love Stinks by Daniel Postgate!

Laura Shovan shares an original "feminist" poem, which she says "falls into the 'It gets better,' category--letting teens know that they won't always feel ugly, unwanted, marginalized or bullied." You can find it at Author Amok. It is painful, yet full of hope. My favorite lines: For you, I have put on a skin/that is uncomfortably familiar.

At A Wrung Sponge, Andromeda Jazmon celebrates with Chief Jake Swamp's Giving Thanks: A Native American Morning Message. She also passed along the sad news that Chief Jake Swamp passed away in October. (I found a tribute here).

Martha Calderaro brings us "Something Told the Wild Geese" by Rachel Field and includes some links to musical performances of the poem. It does make a lovely song. I listened to several other YouTube performances and I liked this solo version, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYok1oFH9w.

At Check It Out, a book by Georgia Heard, Writing Toward Home: Tales and Lessons to Find Your Way has funk-removal qualities! I'll certainly look for it, and follow Ms. Mac's advice to, "Find things to laugh out loud about."

The Book Maven reviews Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman. She tells us that the book is full of unexpected bits of information that children are sure to love, for example, a baby porcupine is called a "porcupette."

Blythe Woolston obviously has a love affair with poetry chapbooks. She calls them, "small treasures" and shares snippets from several. I personally love ones that are illustrated with woodcuts--there's something visceral about the combination of art and poetry.

Caryl reports that her part of Minnesota had its first snow! (I'm not ready for that quite yet!) At the Leaning Tower of Books, she shares Mary Louise Allen's "First Snow," and suggests looking at "First Snow: A Flickr-Generated Poem" by Felix Young. I did look at it, and replayed it with different images. It is a winter wonderful idea!

I left for lunch with my daughter in the early afternoon and now, 5 hours later, I'm back with the afternoon entries to the Round-Up:

Nicole at Saints in Progress shares a poem by C.S. Lewis, "Poem For Psychoanalysts and/or Theologians." It was the first poem of his that she read, and it remains her favorite.

At Endless Books, Beth has visions of daffodils in her head and thus shares Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud." She speculates that Wordsworth would have been pleased that someone is reading his work out of season. Don't miss the link to Jeremy Irons reading the poem.

Joyce Ray also has a Kevin Young poem, today, "Aunties," as well as an original poem inspired by the ruins of the monastery of Hildegarde of Bingen, which has this great stanza: Ivy anchors their moss velvet faces. /Rose thorns ramble over crumbled gables./Helpless to shelter, the stones stand sentry, /mute witnesses to divine desire. Visit Musings to read the rest!

Her 22-month-old son was the inspiration for Melissa Wiley's original poem, "Olympian Heights" found at Here in the Bonny Glen. The poem screams "little boy!"

Five years ago Carlie challenged herself, "to have a go at writing something personal and slightly vulnerable that included the top 25 most common nouns in the English language." The result, "My Uncommon Experience," can be found at Twinkling Along. Love the photos, Carlie!

Barbara is posting for The Write Sisters today and is sharing a Margaret Atwood poem, "This Is a Photograph of Me." It's a slightly strange poem, but one I definitely understand my fellow Write Sister liking. I'm not saying that Barb is strange--okay, maybe I am! (Only kidding, Barb!)


At A Teaching Life, Tara brings us "The Blue Between" by Kristine O'Connell George, and shares the story of a former student whose life includes this poem due to an early immersion in poetry in the classroom. Inspiring!

Shelley, at Rain: A Dust Bowl Story, reminds us to be thankful for what we have. Reading her dust bowl series of poems, can only make you stop and think. It wasn't all that long ago that America was brought to its knees...it could happen again.

Rasco from RIF celebrates her oldest son's birthday with "A Birthday Candle" by Donald Justice. Nice to meet you Carol Rasco!

Photo by ex.libris

36 comments:

  1. Thanks for hosting, Diane.

    Artist autumn is weaving goodbye at
    The FATHER GOOSE Blog

    and the edges of things are appearing at
    The BALD EGO Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those stirring lines - I can just feel the wind seeping in through the window.

    At Great Kid Books, I'm sharing Thanks a Million, by Nikki Grimes - and taking a moment to send out thanks to the many people who've supported me this past year, including my Poetry Friday colleagues and friends.

    http://greatkidbooks.blogspot.com/2010/11/time-for-thanks-to-those-we-love-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, that's a very juicy poem you gave us! There are so many great bits to it: "We guess/
    at what's next/ unlike the mountain/ who knows it/ in the bones, a music/ too high/ to scale" and "let the world/itch—for once—" for example.
    I have an original poem today:
    Happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birds who name themselves with song - beautiful!

    At Through The Wardrobe I have an original poem, 'Crow'.
    http://throughthewardrobe-musings-melissa.blogspot.com

    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for hosting!

    I have an Emily Dickinson poem and an original one today, here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - wonderful poem, Diane. I love "...seen / from above, / this world looks / like us — mostly / salt, dark water." I'll have to look for Kevin Young's work.

    I've got a poem titled Apples by Laurie Lee up at The Drift Record I posted it last week for Veteran's Day, but since today is the anniversary of the Gettysburg Address, I left it up - somehow the ghosts of soldiers are filling my thoughts as Thanksgiving approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning! My poem today is in celebration of meeting Winnie the Pooh and Tigger here at WDW, where I'm attending NCTE. (I've done my Epcot visit and my pool time; the meetings and sessions start today at 7 AM!)

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-winnie-pooh-and-tigger.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for hosting, Diane! This excerpt is beautiful. The repeated Welcome and Why not sing kind of put me in mind of Let Evening Come, though the mood is quiet in an entirely different way.

    I'm in with two poems (Frame, Mask and Mirror and The Heart) from JonArno Lawson's Think Again at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/248600.html

    And 15 Words or Less poem (with an unbelievable photo!) are at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/248209.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this poem. I like your interpretation. My youngest daughter is in a singing phase, often "singing" even the regular things she wants to say. It's great to hear her try to figure out the rhythms of the "poetry" in song.

    This may be cheating a little (since my post isn't directly about poetry), but at Picture Books & Pirouettes I have an email interview with poet and author Jane Yolen and her daughter Heidi Stemple. They talk about a compilation of dance stories they recently published together. Here's the link: http://kerryaradhya.blogspot.com/2010/11/interview-with-jane-yolen-heidi-stemple.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting. I'm in with ALL THINGS BRIGHT AND BEAUTIFUL (because I think songs and poems are in the same family). Bryan's collage illustrations, done with his mother's sewing scissors are absolutely glorious.
    www.carolwscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. On The Stenhouse Blog this morning we have a poem by Elizabeth Alexander titled "Butter." Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My Poetry Friday selection this week is "What Are Heavy" from Christina Rossetti.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the poem, Diane. Yes, "why not sing."

    Today I'm sharing "Thanksgiving Song," by David Steindl, and remembering my aunts who recently passed away.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops, forgot my link:

    http://jamarattigan.livejournal.com/485818.html.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. "The moon's squinting..." Ah! Thank you for hosting and inviting us to sing. I'm at NCTE today, and I don't know how to direct link to my post from this dollhouse keyboard, but over at The Poem Farm, I have poem #25 in my Friday series of poems about poems. www.poemfarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too think that's a gorgeous poem: memorable line to memorable line. (why not, indeed).

    I have a very tiny original poem up at Castle in the Sea.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your choice this week! This time of year does have me singing. No question. :)

    I have Wendell Berry's "To My Mother" today. It's here.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting! I'm in a funny rhyming picture book about a dog who falls in love: Smelly Bill: Love Stinks by Daniel Postgate

    http://picturebookday.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/poetry-friday-smelly-bill-love-stinks/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, Diane. Thanks for hosting.

    I'm sharing an original poem today, "Adolescence Prepared Me for This." It's been called a feminist poem, but I think it falls into the "it gets better" category.

    Hope some PFers can share this one with high school students.

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-poems-of-adolescence.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am posting about Chief Jake Swamps' Giving Thanks; A Native American Morning Message at A Wrung Sponge today. http://awrungsponge.blogspot.com/2010/11/giving-thanks-native-american-morning.html

    Why not sing, indeed? We have so many blessings to be thankful for! I am grateful for your sharing that poem, and for hosting us today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for hosting, Diane! I'm in with poetry and song -- Rachel Field's "Something Told the Wild Geese." http://marthacalderaro.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/poetry-friday-5/

    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My entry, finding a book to lift me out of my funk:
    http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2010/11/19/poetry-friday-november-funk/
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for hosting Diane!

    My entry, a review of children's book Dark Emperor & Other Poems of the Night by Joyce Sidman:
    http://thebookmavenshaven.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-dark-emperor-other-poems.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for hosting. It is a joy to be here.

    Today I have a post about chapbooks, tenderly-made books as artifacts, with slices from the works of five poets.

    http://blythewoolston.blogspot.com/2010/11/chapbooks-poetry-as-artifact.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for hosting Poetry Friday. What a neat poem -- yes, why not sing?

    Speaking of poetry-inspiring weather, I have some poems and thoughts about the first snow of the season, which we experienced here in Minnesota this last weekend:
    http://leaningtowerofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-first-snow.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sharing a poem discovered during my college days, when I knew C. S. lewis was a scholar and apologist, but didn't know he was a poet!

    http://saintsinprogress.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-cs-lewis.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for hosting. Some wonderful poems today!

    I know it's November, but at Endless Books I've got daffodils on my mind...and in my post I reflect on why I think Wordsworth would be pleased about that. http://bookwormjournal.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-daffodils-in-november.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Diane, thanks for sharing those lovely words from Kevin Young. Today at Musings joyceray.blogspot.com I lift up Young's "Aunties" in this season of gathering with relatives. Also, I post my own poem inspired by Hildegard of Bingen's monastery ruins. Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm in with a contribution by, er, my 22-month-old son. ;) http://melissawiley.com/blog/2010/11/19/poetry-friday-the-huck-edition/

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have a contribution too!
    http://twinklingalong.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-noun-list.html

    Thanks so much for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great poem, Diane!

    Over at http://thewritesisters.blogspot.com we have a poem by the newly discovered (by me) Margaret Atwood.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for hosting today...and thank you for that evocative poem. I've had to read it over several times to savor it - just lovely.

    http://tmsteach.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-friday-students-selection.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks!

    The people in these poems always make me remember how much I have to be thankful for:

    http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for hosting!

    http://www.rascofromrif.org/?p=13700

    ReplyDelete
  35. I didn't get a chance to post this week, but luckily I was able to sit down and read all these wonderful posts. Thanks for rounding them up. I'll try to get my act together next week!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Ben! I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete