Featuring cherita!


April 22, 2011

Poetry Friday--"Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now"


This poem is appropriate today since Sunday is Easter and plant life here in New Hampshire is finally starting to come alive!
The Loveliest of Trees, the Cherry Now
by A.E. Housman

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.
Take a tip from Housman and about the woodlands go. Bring a pencil and a piece of paper. Or a camera. Create a little springtime beauty of your own. It's a remarkable time of year and one can't help but be inspired!

Kate Coombs, the Book Aunt, is hosting the Poetry Friday Round-Up today. Quick like a bunny, hop on over and you're sure to find a basket of poetry treats!

Come back again on Sunday for Happy Haiga Day!--Easter Edition.

Photo by jiho.

4 comments:

  1. This actually makes me want to venture outdoors. Go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of a handful of poems I have memorized. Nowadays I say it to myself, "Now of my threescore years and ten/ FIFTY will not come again/ ...And since to look at thing in bloom / TWENTY springs is little room..."

    It's humbling and scary, and it makes me slow down and notice...and appreciate...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing a similar math in my head, Mary Lee.... Thanks for sharing, Diane - and beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete