Featuring cherita!


January 20, 2012

Poetry Friday--Dickinson Inspiration Continued


Last week, along with a rant, I posted several haiku that were inspired by Emily Dickinson's poems. I had such a good time with those, I decided to look for more haiku hiding within her words.


DICKINSON

At half-past three a single bird
Unto a silent sky
Propounded but a single term
Of cautious melody.

HAIKU

a single trill
breaches my dream
...summer dawn


DICKINSON

An awful tempest mashed the air,
The clouds were gaunt and few;
A black, as of a spectre’s cloak,
Hid heaven and earth from view.

HAIKU

his evasive answer...
massing rain clouds
deepen the shadows


DICKINSON

I think the hemlock likes to stand
Upon a marge of snow;
It suits his own austerity,
And satisfies an awe

HAIKU

hemlock green and white
with a touch of black crow
--first snow


DICKINSON

The bee is not afraid of me,
I know the butterfly;
The pretty people in the woods
Receive me cordially.

HAIKU

wild roses
the butterfly shares
with a bee, and me

Photo and haiku © Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

This week, Elaine will host the Poetry Friday Round-Up at Wild Rose Reader.

4 comments:

  1. They are all beautiful, but if I may choose, I like the 'touch of black crow' best. When you write, I always like your use of words, careful and unique, like 'breaches' and 'marge'. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words, but I can't claim "marge"--that's Emily's choice of words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you are doing this! My favorite here is the summer dawn. You have captured it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So perfect how you took Emily's words and reinterpreted them in the haiku form!

    ReplyDelete