Featuring cherita!


September 14, 2012

Poetry Friday--The Round-Up is HERE!

Welcome! I'll start off with a short little poem from an old book (1898) entitled The Fairy Changeling and Other Poems by Dora Sigerson a.k.a. Mrs. Clement Shorter.


WISHES

I wish we could live as the flowers live,
    To breathe and to bloom in the summer and sun;
To slumber and sway in the heart of the night,
    And to die when our glory had done.

I wish we could love as the bees love,
    To rest or to roam without sorrow or sigh;
With laughter, when, after the wooer had won,
    Love flew with a whispered good-bye.

I wish we could die as the birds die,
    To fly and to fall when our beauty was best:
No trammels of time on the years of our face;
    And to leave but an empty nest.

I used to think that birds didn't die naturally since I hardly ever saw little corpses on the ground, only ones in cats' mouths. I suppose the fairies could have buried them in the night, but I never thought of that until just now. And speaking of now--the Round-Up begins right NOW!

Kurious Kitty has a cat (lady) poem by Ruth Stone called "A Pair," and at KK's Kwotes there's a quote by Ruth Stone on the importance of "getting it down."

At The Write Sisters you're invited to sit for a time "In An Abandoned Garden."

Matt Forrest Esenwine at Radio, Rhythm & Rhyme provides our first link (aside from the ones I'm responsible for) to "Purgatory." Hey Matt, we're New Hampshire neighbors!

Charles Ghigna, a Father Goose without feathers, tells us he has been hiding and working on several books for toddlers. And growing some whiskers? (From the cute little grandkids' photos I've seen, which he's posted on Facebook, I can see how he's familiar with the audience!) Check out his original poem "Hidin’ in a Beard," and the photo of another bearded poet whose visage always struck me as kinda skeery. Can you name the poet?

Teaching Authors' April Halprin Wayland leads a discussion about whether or not to get an MFA, shares a poem about making a decision, and provides a great prompt.

Another NH neighbor, Joyce Ray, has an original poem to celebrate Saint Hildegard's feast day. Joyce has been researching Hildegard for many years.

Over at TeacherDance Linda has a pair of poems, "Dry" and "Wet," which came about as a result of one of the Miss Rumphius Effect "stretches." The poems are in trimeric form. (I first read the term as "triaminic," which, of course, is a children's pain reliever! It was late...and I was tired...)

"since feeling it first" by e.e. cummings is featured today at Gathering Books. Someone must have given cummings a challenge--"use the word syntax in a poem."

Joy, a fellow southpaw, checks in with an original poem, "Left Handed," at Poetry for Kids.

At No Water River Renee shares "Cookie" by David L. Harrison, a video clip, AND an interview! Teachers can look for "extension activities" at the end.

Gregory K's original "A Kitchen Mystery" reveals many a family's secret--"Dad did it!" You'll find it at GottaBook.

Need a little humor? Vikram has it at 1000 Poems with "The Briefless Barrister" by John G. Saxe. Take a little time to explore Vikram's drawings, too. He does fantastic work!

Tabatha explores American Sign Language poetry at The Opposite of Indifference with several videos, because it is, after all, meant to be seen.

It's trimeric week in blogland. Check out Mary Lee's "Stars" at A Year of Reading. She even made it rhyme!

My Juicy Little Universe's Heidi has a kindergarten inspired acrostic, "Listen With Your Eyes," which is just delightful!

Katya shares Kipling's "The Way Through the Woods," which begs to be read aloud--in an overgrown garden!

At Growing Wild Liz has an original acorn poem that I can relate to here in NH where acorns seem to be in abundance this year. I fear our winter is going to be a killer! Preschool teachers: Liz's poem would be a great one for the classroom!

Laura Salas introduces us to Last Laughs: Animal Epitaphs, a new collection from Pat Lewis and Jane Yolen. It looks to be fun! And, she has this week's batch of 15 Words or Less poems here.

A favorite from the collection Over the Moon: The Broadway Lullaby Project, a compilation of lullabies to benefit breast cancer, can be found at Jama's Alphabet Soup. Jama says, "I know at least nine survivors and one person who lost her battle, and of course, we all recently learned that Judy Blume was recently diagnosed." Jama, you can add me to the list, and two more of The Write Sisters (three out of the seven of us are survivors) Our thoughts go out to Judy Blume.

Our other Laura S., Laura Shovan, has gone buggy on us--in a good way with a Mary Oliver poem--over at Author Amok. Her daughter, Julia, is an accomplished "wildlife" photographer, as you will see.

At Dori Reads, Dori shares some writers' tools that may be worth looking into, and, she includes "The Oak" by Alfred Lord Tennyson, just because she likes it! (I would say that's the best reason to share a poem!)

My Spark partner, Amy, at The Poem Farm, also shares my love of birds it seems. She's in today with an original, "I Was a Tree Before."

Welcome to David L. Harrison who announces that he'll be featuring poems written by visitors to his blog who would like to share their work. The first two poets, Catherine Johnson and Julie Krantz, will appear this Sunday.

At Think Kid, Think! Ed explains that he had a hard time coming up with outstanding first lines in children's poetry. He invites us all to weigh in.

Elaine and I had Polish grandparents, so I especially love her memoir poems, one of which, "Apples," she shares today at Wild Rose Reader. And check out Elaine's new backyard!

Violet Nesdoly / poems has an original entitled, "Prairie Autumn," make sure you see it, it is quite a surprise!

Tara @ A Teaching Life will make you think back to 6th grade...On the other hand, she also shares "The Alphabet Conspiracy" by Rita Mae Reese, which is chocky-block full of quotable lines like, her mind falls down the rabbit holes of grammar and history is a series of conspiracies/by accidental despots. Don't miss it!

Lorie Ann Grover has a birthday today! Happy birthday and a poetry-filled year ahead. At On Point Lorie Ann has an original poem, "A Board Book," that will tug at grandmothers' heartstrings! And at readertotz Lorie Ann has arranged for you to sing along with Nathan Lane and some greenly attired Muppets!

Don't miss Teaching Young Writers where Betsy is featuring the words of Leo Lionni's mouse child, Frederick.

Samuel Kent sent along a link to a plethora of what he referred to as "kid-ready poems." Get ready for some fun, and don't miss #470 "Show and Tell."

Andi at A Wrung Sponge shares "Lady, Lady" by Ann Spencer and goes on to explain one of the allusions for us.

Mrs. Merrill's Book Break presents us with some poetry words to live by, courtesy Mary Ann Hoberman.

After a busy day, Ruth joins us to share a poem by Elizabeth Alexander, "Ars Poetica #28: African Leave-Taking Disorder."

Photo © Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

38 comments:

  1. Diane,
    Thank you for hosting the round up. I have a poem about being left handed up on my blog.
    www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Diane - thanks for hosting!

    Today at No Water River, I've got a rootin' tootin' poetry video of David L. Harrison reading "Cookie" from his book COWBOYS, plus a wacky but wonderful interview from the man who says being a poet is like having the shingles.

    http://www.nowaterriver.com/poetry-monday-cookie-by-david-l-harrison/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Diane!

    I'm up with an original today - A Kitchen Mystery

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, thanks for hosting. Today, on my 1000 Poems blog, I am sharing a little-known classic humorous poem 'The Briefless Barrister' by John G. Saxe

    http://www.1000poems.com/2012/09/classic-funny-poems-briefless-barrister.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane! Thanks for being such a marvelous host. I have American Sign Language poetry today: http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2012/09/asl-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an original trimeric this week:

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2012/09/poetry-friday-stars.html

    Thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Diane--

    I don't have a Friday post this week, but I do have a sign language alphabet poem left over from "Overheard in Kindergarten" Tuesday. Thanks for hosting, and hey! Tabatha has ASL poetry too!
    http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2012/09/oik-tuesday-hand-ear-coordination.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. My overgrown garden reminded me of a Kipling poem I loved as a child.
    http://www.katyaczaja.com/posts/pf31/

    Thanks for hosting, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane,
    Thanks for hosting. I have a little, original poem about acorns at Growing Wild: http://www.lizsteinglass.com/
    Happy Poetry Friday!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting, Diane--what a beautiful and melancholy poem. It's so simple and clear, like someone playing a tune on crystal glasses. Must read again to see how she got that effect!

    I'm in with Last Laughs, the new collection from Pat Lewis and Jane Yolen, at http://laurasalas.wordpress.com/2012/09/14/last-laughs/

    and with 15 Words or Less poems at http://laurasalas.wordpress.com/2012/09/13/15-words-or-less-poems-shadow-tree/

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely poem, Diane!

    Today I'm sharing my favorite lullaby from Over the Moon: The Broadway Lullaby project, a compilation of lullabies to benefit breast cancer:

    http://jamarattigan.com/2012/09/14/friday-feast-over-the-moon/

    Thanks for hosting and have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the poem! It's always nice to see & feel so much in just a few lines, and this poem does that wonderfully! And yes, Diane, I forgot we were neighbors...I had a chance to meet Muriel a couple months ago, at our Bedford writer's group. Nice meetig you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, Diane. I was going to skip today and nurse my brewing cold, but I came across some insect photos that were a perfect compliment to Mary Oliver's "The Summer Day." A serendipitous combination for our last Poetry Friday of the summer. (I see bugs and the end of summer were on your mind, too!)

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2012/09/poetry-friday-goodbye-to-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for hosting, Diane. Lovely, poem. I have a bit of Tennyson at DoriReads.
    http://dorireads.blogspot.com/2012/09/poetry-friday-tennyson.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you did not think that birds died, Diane. That is a poem in itself!

    Today I have a poem about the time I was a tree...http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/2012/09/i-was-tree-before.html

    Thank you for hosting - happy Poetry Friday!

    a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How's this, Amy?

      A BELATED THANK YOU

      I used to think birds
      didn't die naturally;
      I hardly ever saw their
      little corpses on the ground,
      only in cats' mouths.

      I suppose the fairies could have
      buried them in the night.

      I never thought of that before.


      © Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

      Delete
  16. Hello, Diane. I like your poem and, for the first time, am contributing a comment on Poetry Friday. So thanks for hosting this week. I'm starting something new on my blog at http://davidlharrison.wordpress.com. On Sundays I'll feature poems written by visitors to the blog who would like to share something they've written. The first two poets, Catherine Johnson and Julie Krantz, are set to be featured this Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome David,
      Great to see you at the great Friday Rumbustification Poetry Roundup. I'm looking forward to reading Julie Krantz' and Catherine Johnson's poems.

      Delete
  17. Hi Diane.

    I have an observation and a question for Poetry Friday participants today: Are the first lines of kids' poems memorable?

    http://www.thinkkidthink.com/are-the-first-lines-of-kids-poems-memorable/

    All are invited to join the discussion!

    -Ed

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Diane,
    that's such a beautiful poem. I've never heard of the poet and I'm happy to discover her via your poetry friday post. It reminds me so much of Emily Dickinson, maybe not it style but in the topic and presentation. And I'm sort of a sucker for the repetition....

    thanks for hosting by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes just put a search term into Project Gutenberg. and see what comes up. I always come across something unknown but fascinating.

      Delete
  19. Diane,

    Thanks for doing the roundup this week!

    At Wild Rose Reader, I have a memoir poem titled "Apples." I also have an explanation for why I've been absent from blogging for so long--we bought a house recently. (I also posted some pictures of the grounds around the house.)

    http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2012/09/normal-0-false-false-false-en-us-x-none.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Diane--

    I love the poem you chose--it's haunting, and I'm not sure why. I don't think the tone is melancholy, but the wishes, if you think about them, are truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much goodness here! I'll be savoring these posts all weekend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by Cathy. Some days the amount of posts is overwhelming, but so far today it has been manageable. Such good stuff!

      Delete
  22. Thanks for hosting today, Diane! At A Teaching Life, having just survived Back to School Night, I have a poem about looking back at sixth grade life...
    http://tmsteach.blogspot.com/2012/09/poetry-friday-what-back-to-school-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed Mrs. Shorter's whimsical and poetic thoughts life, love and death. Why do poems like this always make me feel that modern life has grown too complex?

    I hope you have room for one more post on your list. Diane, your post on wild geese last Friday reminded me of this old poem in my files: "Prairie Autumn" is here.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for hosting on my birthday! At On Point, I have an original haiku, A Board Book.

    ReplyDelete
  25. And at readertotz, we are singing with Nathan Lane. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A contribution from a Leo Lionni character.
    http://teachingyoungwriters.blogspot.com/2012/09/fredericks-words.html
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for hosting these. I've posted 5 new kid-ready poems this week. See them and previous poems at a glance: http://i.droo.it/tag/poem/

    ReplyDelete
  28. To fly and to fall when our beauty is best? I think that depends on where one finds one's beauty! The older I get the more I enjoy the years going by...

    Thanks for doing the round up for us today! I have a poem from the Harlem Renaissance by Anne Spencer: "Lady, Lady".

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes...to leave only an empty nest. So beautiful. Thanks again for hosting, Diane!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good afternoon! I am a late comer . . . mostly because I was a week ahead on the round-up schedule! Thanks to Renee, I am now in the right place. :) Today at Mrs. Merrill's Book Breaks, I am sharing the works of one of my many favorite poets, Mary Ann Hoberman. In her words I have found a mantra for my "Poetry Breaks!"
    Happy Friday!
    Amy Merrill
    http://mrsmerrillsbookbreak.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-poetry-friday-poems-by-heart.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hope I'm not too late! Just got done with conferences for the afternoon...

    Here's my post: here. I have a poem by Elizabeth Alexander today.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the beautiful old poem, Diane. I love the rhythm they often have, and the sweetness of this sentiment.

    ReplyDelete