Featuring cherita!


November 6, 2014

Poetry Friday--This Is the Place!

Welcome! The Poetry Friday Round-Up is taking place here. I hope you're ready for some poetry, 'cause there's a lot of it being shared around the blogosphere today.

Sadly, with the winds we've had this week, the trees have been stripped nearly bare. But, it is November, afterall, and the sky shows seem to be making up for the loss of color in the trees. Here's a poem called "November Skies" that is fitting for this first week of November. The photo was taken by me on Tuesday around 4:30. My phone wasn't able to capture the full effect of the orange sky, but it captured enough.

November Skies
by John Freeman

Than these November skies
Is no sky lovelier. The clouds are deep;
Into their grey the subtle spies
Of colour creep,
Changing that high austerity to delight,
Till ev'n the leaden interfolds are bright.
And, where the cloud breaks, faint far azure peers
Ere a thin flushing cloud again
Shuts up that loveliness, or shares.
The huge great clouds move slowly, gently, as
Reluctant the quick sun should shine in vain,
Holding in bright caprice their rain.
And when of colours none,
Not rose, nor amber, nor the scarce late green,
Is truly seen, --
In all the myriad grey,
In silver height and dusky deep, remain
The loveliest,
Faint purple flushes of the unvanquished sun.

Leave a link to your P.F. post in the comments below. I'll be rounding them all up, with commentary, throughout the day.

I'll start with Kurious Kitty, who's taking the day off from the library, but, she did manage to leave a short book review of JoAnn Macken's Read, Recite, and Write Free Verse Poems. Kurious Kitty celebrated 8 years of blogging on November 6!

First out of the gate is Carmela from TeachingAuthors. If you're a writer, you're going to love the fact that she's giving away another copy of the 2015 Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market. She also shares a Thanku, which, if you haven't come across them before, is a haiku of thankfulness. Nice idea, isn't it?

Michelle at Today's Little Ditty, has an interview with Bob Raczka whose book of Christmas poems was just released. (Our children's librarian waved the book in front of me yesterday and ran off with it, so I only got a cursory glance. The illustrations have a nice European look to them--not at all cartoony. I look forward to seeing the whole thing!)

At Author Amok Laura shares part one of her lesson for teaching onomatopoeia, and she illustrates the concept with student poems. Good job!

Jama's Alphabet Soup shows us what peace around the world can be like through a poem by James Rumford. If you, or someone you know, is able to translate into another language, your help is required in a worthy poetry project!

Tara's choice of poems for today, "A Crown of Autumn Leaves" by Annie Finch, is a thing of beauty! Find it at A Teaching Life.

Linda at Teacher Dance also has a leafy poem, this one by Elsie N. Brady. Fall is almost over, so we need to enjoy the color while we can!

Gift-giving season is coming, so Robyn Hood Black has given us a gift of 3 haiku, and, she's hoping we'll do some gift shopping at her etsy store! It's worth a look, there are some fine literary gifts awaiting!

Madelyn Rosenberg has made it hard for me to continue with the Round-Up, she waylaid me with the Kinks and I'm now listening to YouTube clips! You'll have to visit her page to see how she gets from "The Importance of Picture Books" to the Kinks.

Bridget wins the best title award for this week! Her original poem is titled, "From Orange to Black, the Decomposition of Jack." She also explains how art inspires! Stop by Wee Words for Wee Ones.

Tabatha Yeatts brings us the poetry of Appalachia. The short video clip is quite moving, so don't skip it! Also, Tabatha reminds us of today's deadline to sign up for the Winter Poem Swap. (I'm signed up, are you?)

Joy Acey, at Poetry for Kids, explains and demonstrates the use of anaphora in poetry with her poem, "My Dog." (Silly me, I always thought an anaphora was a type of Greek pottery. I had to look it up and found that the vessel is called amphora. Duh.)

Lucky Mary Lee will be attending the upcoming NCTE conference in Washington, D.C. There seems to be a lot of Poetry Friday representatives attending. I'm envious. I'm not, however, envious of Mary Lee's encounter with a "Shadow."

Margaret will also be attending NCTE, but she will be there to also accept the Donald H. Graves Award.



Today, at Reflections on the Teche, Margaret is sharing an exercise she did with her students that resulted in this from a student poem, "Be a warrior./Ride on your unicorn." How great is that?


My Juicy Little Universe
shows us today that Walt Whitman is not just for adults! Normally that's hard to believe, but "The World Below the Brine" proves otherwise. It also goes to show that school science doesn't have to be restricted to textbooks and a lab!

Irene Latham at Live Your Poem is telling how she actually LIVES poems and asks for titles of children's poetry to include in her list. (I'll have to go back later and read all your suggestions.)

At Merely Day by Day, Cathy has an original poem about the recent time change. It's called "The Gift of an Hour," and it raises some interesting questions about how we spend our time.

Matt Forrest Esenwine exacts "Revenge" (or does he?) in a poem he wrote for David L. Harrison's Word of the Month challenge for October. The challenge word was "spree." [Note, November's word is "brew."]

Ruth has a killer of a poem at There is no such thing as a God-forsaken town. That's all I'll say except...Go. Read. It!

Time for a little shameless self-promotion! If you live in the Portsmouth, NH area, please support the Seacoast Rep. They are staging Run, Turkey, Run! The Musical next weekend, and the one after that. I wrote Run, Turkey, Run! the book. :-)


Becky Shillington spread poetry amongst 5th graders last week, which she obviously enjoyed greatly. This week she is sharing a poem by a poet who before today was completely unknown to me and whom I've encountered twice within the past 4 hours! How about that?

Joyce's Musings include a ekphrastic haiku and the work of Maine artist, Bernard Langlais. Langlais' work is seen in many locations in southern Maine, and being that it's kinda in my neighborhood (New England--it's a rather big neighborhood), I'm sorry to say I've never encountered his work before Joyce's post!

Over at The Logonauts we learn that mindfulness is a concept that third graders can understand. Who woulda thunk it? And meditation is a concept I still haven't been able to wrap my mind around. Thanks Katie for showing us a way to explain both concepts--with poetry.

Another book of Emily Dickinson poetry? You might ask that, but the one Sheri Doyle highlights today, My Letter to the World and Other Poems written by Emily Dickinson and illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault, looks fresh with its pictures and layout. I'm definitely going to seek it out!

I recently updated my library's website with some information about November being Native American Heritage Month, and now Jan at Book seed studio has posted a list of children's books in an "Appreciation" of Native Americans and giving thanks! Thanks, Jan!

[By the way, the Library of Congress houses the Edward S. Curtis Collection of photographs, which you really need to see!]

In the Kingdom of Ice is a book that I've been waiting to listen to on audio, so I'm further intrigued to learn that the title of the book is taken from the first line of a poem, "The Sinking of the Jeannette." Dori Reads pointed it out and includes the poem, as well as a limerick from the same poet. (The limerick is quite funny and deserves a kudo to the translator who took it from German to English!)

Bildungsroman shares a poem by Mary Oliver, "Next Time." [Did you know that the New York Times stated that Mary Oliver is "far and away, this country's best-selling poet."]

Carol at Beyond LiteracyLink has taken on the Zeno and a public discussion of "The Homework Deception," combining the two into an illustrated poem. Well done, Carol!

Tricia posts a Robert Frost poem today at the Miss Rumphius Effect that makes me feel cold and lonely. How does "Acquainted With the Night" make you feel?

At Mainely Write Donna shares the first snow poem of this winter season (at least for me), and promises more to come as she assembles a book.

Karen Edmisten
has a poem, "An Autumn Reverie," by Ella Wheeler Wilcox. It is full of sadness and loss, but also of faith. Karen will be appearing with EWTN host Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle in a segment on miscarriage, tonight at 6:30 Eastern.

Kelly's been accompanying a future student on college tours. She wrote about it at Writing and Ruminating.

Ramona went to visit her niece's 4th grade classroom and found some very poetry-receptive students! She also reminisced about her 4th grade teacher, which got me thinking about my teacher in 4th grade, and will probably get you thinking about yours!

I received two more comments this morning (Saturday), but I was out all day and didn't see them until 7:30 at night. Sorry, Ladies. Please stop by the better-late-than-never blogs of my friends Jone and Julie!

Jone writes about a subject I have definite opinions about--haiku. She already knows mine, but please weigh in on how you think haiku should be taught to kids. Actually, I've changed my mind slightly over the past few years. Where once I thought it's great to teach haiku to elementary kids, I'm more of opinion now that kids below 6th grade just don't get the "essence of a moment," so go ahead and teach them the 5-7-5. (Okay, I've really invited the rotten tomatoes!)

At The Drift Record, Julie has something I loved, loved, loved--a music video with an exuberant woman in a polka-dotted shirt, topped by a polka-dotted Mickey Mouse apron, singing her heart out! You MUST watch. There's no way you won't be smiling by the end!



39 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,
    Well, your phone may not have caught all the orange, but the photo looks lovely to me. And it's a perfect match for “November Sun.” I especially love the poem's last line.
    For Poetry Friday, I’m sharing my Thanku (a “thank you” themed haiku) called “Thanks-Giving” as we kick off “Three Weeks of Thanks-Giving” on our TeachingAuthors blog. One of the things I’m grateful for is that Writer’s Digest Books has generously donated a second copy of the 2015 CHILDREN’S WRITER’S AND ILLUSTRATOR’S MARKET for us to give away this month. The post goes live at 2:00 am central time. Here’s the link:
    http://www.teachingauthors.com/2014/11/thanks-giving-CWIM-giveaway.html
    Thanks for hosting today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sky is magnificent, Diane! And what a perfect poem to accompany it. Thanks for hosting PF this week and a very happy blogiversary to Kurious Kitty!!! This week I've got Bob Raczka in the spotlight and his new collection of haiku called Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole. He's got a new DMC challenge that I'm quite sure you're well equipped for, Diane. :) http://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2014/11/spotlight-on-bob-raczka-dmc-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photograph, Diane! Our maple is bare, but the gingko and one of the pears are still clinging to their leaves.

    After reading my students' Halloween onomatopoeia poems last week, many people asked about my lesson plan for this workshop. Today, I have Onomatopoeia lesson Part 1. Feel free to use and adapt this for your classroom. The lesson description includes three responses from third grade students.

    http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2014/11/onomatopoeia-lesson-part-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous poem and photo pairing, Diane! Love "the subtle spies of colour creep."

    At Alphabet Soup I'm sharing a peace poem by Hawaii author/illustrator James Rumford. We're hoping to find people who can help translate the poem into different languages:

    http://wp.me/p1GE6P-3CK

    My link will go live at 6 a.m. EST.
    Thanks so much for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - the pairing of photograph and poem is brilliant, Diane. Loved all those flashes of color in the poem - just the way a sky turns from one shade to the next...

    http://ateachinglifedotcom.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/poetry-friday-a-crown-of-autumn-leaves-by-annie-finch/

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sun is melting into the water, Diane. What a picture. I have a November poem today too, more leaves! http://www.teacherdance.org/2014/11/its-random-noodlings-poetry-friday.html Thanks for hosting, and have a lovely Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, Happy Blogging BDay to Kurious Kitty! Here's to the next eight. And, since she has nine lives, I guess here's to many more....

    I'm in with a handful of recently published haiku and some shameless, blatant mention of a few new items for literary/creative types from artsyletters.
    http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog.htm?post=975418

    Thank you for hosting, and for the gorgeous picture and poem. "Faint purple flushes of the unvanquished sun" - dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That color! Unvanquished indeed! Thanks for hosting (and for putting this up tonight.) I have a brief (though not Haiku-brief) poem for Picture Book Month. http://www.squealermusic.com/madclips/wordpress2/?p=3184

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous sky, gorgeous poem, Diane! You captured this first week of November perfectly in both.Thanks for hosting this week and happy blogging b'day to Kurious Kitty - so fun.

    This week I have an original poem inspired by Liz Steinglass' poem from last week, "A Pumpkin's Plea".

    My poem is entitled, "From Orange to Black, the Decomposition of Jack" and can be found at: http://weewordsforweeones.blogspot.com/2014/11/from-orange-to-black-decomposition-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for hosting, Diane! Your haiku about the geese unseen reminded me of last night, when a heron made the oddest noises I have ever heard. I had no idea a heron could even make those sounds. ??

    I have an Appalachian poem today:
    http://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/2014/11/she-lives.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Diane, Thanks for hosting us all this week. I love your choice of the John Freeman poem. I had fun learning about him and his poetry. The opening line "Than these November skies," is incredible. I want to start a poem with "Than these."

    I'm in this week with a poem that uses anaphora, and a poetry prompt. Read MY DOG at http://www.poetryforkidsjoy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photo. Perfect poem. Thanks for hosting! Have a fun Day of Poetry!

    I've got an original today, and a list of some poetry events/sessions at NCTE where I hope to see many PF peeps!

    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2014/11/poetry-friday-shadow.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, November sunsets! Thanks for hosting today. I have some student poems that came from a free writing activity. http://reflectionsontheteche.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/free-write-leads-to-poetry/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning, Diane! Thanks for having us today. The diction of that Freeman poem would normally put me off, but somehow it seems fitting for this time of year and its gothic skies.

    I'm in with another in my science series, diving underwater with Walt Whitman.
    http://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2014/11/science-series-v.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous sunrise, Diane! We are far from bare around here... lots of color - still mostly green!
    I've got poems 15 and 16 in my How to Live Your Poem series... "Patience" by Marilyn Singer and "To a Red Kite" by Lilian Moore. Thank you for hosting! http://www.irenelatham.blogspot.com/2014/11/how-to-live-your-poem-bloglikecrazy.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, November - a month of many faces.

    Here's my attempt at an original poem to ponder the time change. Thanks for hosting today, Diane.

    The Gift of an Hour
    http://merelydaybyday.blogspot.ca/2014/11/the-gift-of-hour.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a perfect poem for today...love it! Thanks for sharing, Diane. Today, I'm sharing an original story in free verse that came about from a challenge by David L. Harrison: http://mattforrest.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/poetry-friday-revenge/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for hosting! I have an original poem today. http://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2014/11/poetry-friday-dinner-with-friend.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for hosting Poetry Friday today, Diane! I love Freeman's poem, and have always thought bare tree branches against the sky are lovely. One of my favorite times to visit the mountains is in the late fall and winter, when there are no leaves, only bare limbs reaching toward the sky. On my blog today I am sharing a poem titled "Leaves" by Scottish poet Elsie N. Brady. www.beckyshillington.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Diane, thanks for hosting today. I love that Freeman's poem is awash with words of color splashed across that grey November canvas! When I visited Vermont once, I learned that Vermonters call this time "stick season." Those bare branches can have a different kind of beauty if we look. Today at Musings I'm sharing one haiku inspired by a Bernard Langlais sculpture exhibit in Maine. http://www.joyceray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much for hosting! I shared a little about meditation and mindfulness with my 3rd graders this week, and I have details about that, including a meditation poem and a "relaxing poem" inspired by it and written by students.
    http://www.thelogonauts.com/2014/11/poetry-mindfulness.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful poem and stunning photograph! I'm a big fan of November skies—they really are unique.
    Thank you for hosting, Dianne.
    I am sharing some thoughts today about a beautiful book published by Kids Can Press—My Letter to the World and Other Poems. http://sheridoyle.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  23. The sunset colors do shine thru, Diane. Lovely photography. Artistic.
    Appreciations also for sharing a poem/poet new to me.
    Also, these introductions you've written are enticing.
    ........

    Visitors paging over to Bookseedstudio

    http://bookseedstudio.wordpress.com/2014/11/07/appreciations/

    will find an Appreciations topic shared by Jan Annino, with
    a First Peoples/American Indian/Native American accent

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautiful sky! And such delicious words to go with it.

    I'm in today at DoriReads with a poem from the frontpiece of Hampton Sides' new book, In the Kingdom of Ice.
    http://dorireads.blogspot.com/2014/11/in-kingdom-of-ice.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Friday, everyone! I posted something by Mary Oliver at my blog, Bildungsroman: http://slayground.livejournal.com/794359.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Diane, thank you for hosting Poetry Friday today. I am excited to read everyone's responses now that we are in the month of November. Today's offering is my 2nd attempt at the zeno format with What if? (http://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2014/11/what-if-poetry-friday.html).

    ReplyDelete
  27. While I'm in NY enjoying snow, my cozy blog is back in VA sharing a bit of Frost.
    http://missrumphiuseffect.blogspot.com/2014/11/poetry-friday-acquainted-with-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. We've already had snow in Maine - more today up north. So here's a preview of my next collection with mostly new poems (I think just one previously on my blog) - the poem "Twinkly, Sprinkly". Thanks for hosting today! Sorry I'm late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I'm stupid, too...(oh, that's such a harsh word, but it felt right!) Here's the link!
      http://mainelywrite.blogspot.com/2014/11/poetry-friday-and-winter-ways.html

      Delete
  29. What a beautiful picture, Diane! And a lovely poem, too. I'm in today with "An Autumn Reverie" -- it's here.

    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Becky Shillington's link needs to be corrected...can't get there from here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I left out the http:// It should work now.

      Delete
  31. I'm in with a wee original poem about college tours. http://kellyrfineman.livejournal.com/845937.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this sunset and the poem. Sharing my visit to a 4th grade classroom and memories of my 4th grade teacher today.
    Thanks for hosting

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi again. Back to say it's SO COOL that they turned your book into a musical! I wish I could see it.

    Also, just an FYI that you have Robyn's link set to her Etsy store instead of her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! And I fixed Robyn's links, thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  34. Late. No Internet last night: http://maclibrary.wordpress.com/2014/11/08/poetry-friday-first-friday-2/

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm late with this, but I posted on Friday! This week I talk about poetry coming to us in small packages over at The Drift Record: http://julielarios.blogspot.com/2014/11/poetry-friday-small-packages.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. Fantastic round up, and thanks for the poem, it's sunset as I read this and it seemed very appropriate as a result!

    ReplyDelete