Featuring cherita!


June 5, 2015

Poetry Friday--"Summertime, 2015"



I stumbled across this version of "Summertime" by a singer, Jerry Kruger, who was unknown to me. I found her interpretation to be delightful. But, after a quick search, I found nothing of significance about the woman. Ah, well. If you know anything about her, please share!

The song got me to thinking about this summer. I know, I know, it's still spring, but we've had a few hot, sweaty days already. (This week has been the complete opposite--bone-chilling rain.) I gave a little nod to Jerry Kruger in the poem (aside from "easy livin'"), can you find it?

Summertime, 2015

No easy livin' this year--
the street's torn up
to lay new water pipes.

Construction dust
coats everything from
window panes to bronchi.

Add heat and humidity
and sweat slowly runs
in muddy rivulets

pooling behind knees.
Faces shine greasier
than a bucket of chicken.

No easy livin'--this year
only dirt without the joy
of being a child at play.

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.


I've already been assigned the first recipient in the 2015 Summer Poem Swap. After June 22, expect a lot of original poetry being shared on Poetry Fridays that are the result of this year's swap. Many thanks to Tabatha Yeatts who originated the annual project and who continues to handle the logistics admirably.

Buffy's Blog is the place to be today for the Round-Up, so hurry on over!





17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful recording! Thanks for sharing.
    Construction dust does NOT sound like fun. I found the reference, I believe, but I'll leave it to another to discover... (After all, I'm a vegetarian.) ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the rain the other day it is now construction mud!

      Delete
  2. Diane, I love this version of Summertime. Just before I listened to the song, I picked out the following lines that I know now are the reference you asked us to find: Faces shine greasier than a bucket of chicken. (Thanks Robyn for the second clue). Those lines made me recollect our 8th grade lunchbox auction. I made fried chicken and all the boys in the class bid for it. It is amazing to me how one reference can bring back long ago stored away memories. Thanks Diane for a trip down memory lane and your amazingly visual poem. Save this poem for the summer gallery I will create after Spring's Symphony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'll save it for you! I'll find something to illustrate it with.

      Delete
  3. I've had those summers, and you captured it they way I remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NH always seems to have those kinds of summers--construction everywhere and none of it ever finished!

      Delete
  4. Love that singing, just like summer's supposed to be, easy. . . And love the poem, grabbing a moment that one doesn't expect. Is it true? If so, best wishes for it all to be over soon, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true. I've got the film of dust all over everything to prove it!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the video -- unusual that there's no info about Jerry Kruger to be found -- (and she had an orchestra?). Interesting

    Sans construction dust, you've included in your poem the very reasons summer is my least favorite season. This past week, though, felt like cold damp Spring all over again. What gives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it quite surprising about the lack of information, however, I didn't devote a lot of time to my search. If you come across any, let me know.

      I slept with socks on twice this past week!

      Delete
  6. Love this recording....and your poem made me chuckle. Hope there's not too much construction dust in your future, or chicken-greasy faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across the recording while listening to one of my Pandora stations. I think it was the Django Reinhardt one. I started a Jerry Kruger station in hopes that I'd come across more of her recordings.

      Delete
  7. We have a tradition at our school. On the last day, after the kids are well and truly gone, our special ed secretary gets on the PA and sings Summertime a cappella. Her version is low and gravely. This is a fun change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun tradition! People should sing more often to my way of thinking.

      Delete
  8. Oh my, we have road construction everywhere you turn. I love how you used this well-known summer song and turned it around. It certainly feels like summer here in the deep south. Temps hitting over 90 today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we don't have 90 degree temps yet. I'm sure they're coming, but the longer we can hold off, the better!

      Delete
  9. Love the greasy chicken faces line, Diana, also "from window panes to bronchi." We are all donning greasy chicken faces already in this neck of the woods. As for the construction? It just keeps moving from area to area on a year-round trek.

    ReplyDelete