Featuring cherita!


August 6, 2010

Poetry Friday--"The Poet on Facebook"

Last year I set up a Facebook account. I spent a few weeks exploring people and pages. But, it didn't take me long to decide that Facebook wasn't my "thing." Part of the realization came about because a poet, a well-published, and well-respected one, surprised me with how she chose to use Facebook. I wrote a poem about her.
The Poet on Facebook

I thought you'd ignore
those insane quizzes--
What kind of...
old lady,
animal,
Seuss character,
would you be?

I didn't think you'd
fall for those apps
wanting you to
Name...
the Easter Bunny,
life-changing books,
what's hot and
what's not.

Nor did I expect you
to be involved in
Virtual...
water balloon fights,
flower deliveries,
sheep launching.

I see you poking, pinging,
and tweeting and I wonder
Who are you? And what
have you done with
my poet?
She shall remain unnamed, and I know she doesn't read my blog, so I feel free to share this with you.

What have been your experiences with Facebook? I know many people who can't live without it.

The Poetry Friday Round-Up is being hosted by Laura at Author Amok.

2 comments:

  1. Great poem!

    I use FB to keep in touch with friends and family. I refuse to get sucked into any of the other stuff (and I hide posts from people who do a lot of it). I can't find time to do enough writing as is... what would I do if I had a farm that required upkeep every few hours? Gack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Diane. I love Facebook for some things -- announcing blog posts, inviting people to events. But I do get caught up in it sometimes, just seeing what my friends are up to. No virtual water balloon fights!

    ReplyDelete