Featuring cherita!


May 24, 2013

Poetry Friday--"Cultivation"

How many times have you scribbled little notes to yourself and thrown them away shortly thereafter? Probably a gazillion. Nowadays we are becoming a little more conscious of recycling paper. In the olden days, paper was reused--notes were written between the lines of other notes. And, well-used paper may have been used one final time to bind books. Thanks to Facebook, I found this intriguing post, "A Hidden Medieval Archive Surfaces," from medievalfragments, about a old book which has been un-bound.

The thing I found most intriguing in this post is the note that was written request from a Count Philip, in 1486, for wild roses. Here's the post's author, Erik Kwakkel, "Holding the request for wild roses in your hand really makes you think about how the flowers will have been used, who looked at them, and what conversations were held in the room where they were placed."

Ah, yes, wild roses. What connected the Count to wild roses? Hmmm, I have photos of roses...I feel an illustrated poem coming on!

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

Jama is hosting this week's Round-Up at Jama's Alphabet Soup--stop by!


12 comments:

  1. Oh, lovely haiga, Diane! Now you have me wondering about Count Philip's request too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the visual, great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think about the rose varieties that have been preserved and cultivated across decades and continents...and how those old wild roses seem to smell the sweetest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have so many wild roses around here...I can completely identify with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was typing to the ladies, your comment came in, Matt. I didn't mean to slight you! Nor to call you a lady!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, ladies! The scent has been bred out of the roses in the quest for bigger, "better," blooms. It's too, bad, but I make due with oil of tea rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm... delicious post with sweet and thorny thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

    And thank you, I think, for pointing me to another wonderful blog that will claim me for an indefinite period of time, I'm sure...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see the chained library? Amazing! Yes, medievalfragments is a fascinating blog!

      Delete
  7. The story of these notes (and the stories they bring us) is/are fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And, isn't it wonderful that we have the internet to bring us these fascinating artifacts!

      Delete
  8. I love your poem - wild roses is what I seek too! Again, none too many here in the desert of Tucson. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this, Diane! "... and yet, I/ continue to seek out/ the wild roses, if only/ to evoke your laughter." Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete