Featuring cherita!


August 2, 2013

Poetry Friday--Summer Swap Time!

I am participating in the 2013 Summer Poem Swap organized by the incomparable Tabatha Yeatts. I participated last year and truly enjoyed the experience. An added bonus is that it forced me to be creative over the lazy summer months.

I like to pair my poems with illustrations or photos, and I've done so with the Summer Swap poems. I print them off on a color printer and send the pieces to my assigned recipients. However, I have a bit of a color printer problem. The printer refuses to be adjusted and reproduces colors that are unnaturally deep. In most cases it doesn't make a huge difference, but with today's poem, it definitely does. When printed, the background horses are practically invisible! Thus, I did not send this poem to one of my swappees.

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved. Click on the image to enlarge it for easier reading.

Alas, since I didn't send the poem, I had to write another one in it's place. I guess that's not a bad thing!

At the end of the Summer Swap, I will put all my poems together and add a link to them here on Random Noodling. I'll let you know when it's ready to go.

Now I'd like to direct you to Reflections on the Teche where Margaret is today's Round-Up host.

12 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful image. Too bad it wouldn't print well. I like the shape of your poem and the incidental rhyme of heat and sheet. It's August and the heat is oppressive.
    I hope I thanked you for the poem you sent me, a true poem of nature about the native strawberry. Thanks for joining the roundup today. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for noticing the shape, Margaret. I'm kind of obsessed with how poems are laid out on the page. ;-)

      Delete
  2. That deep blue really added to the experience of the poem, for me. What a great way to keep those creative juices going all summer long with the summer swap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my intent with the blue, but the printer printed it almost completely navy blue!

      Delete
  3. Love them poem! I think the dark colour enhances the poem, because of its inference of nighttime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Matt. I paired the blue with grey/black edges to get the effect.

      Delete
  4. Do you know the book Gossamer by Lois Lowry? Your poem and illustration remind me of the night mares in that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know that one, Mary Lee, but I just checked our catalog and we have it in audio. I only have to finish The Astronaut Wives Club, then The Light in the Ruins, before I can listen to it! As far as regular books are concerned, I'm in the middle of And the Mountains Echoed, and then it's on to The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls. Being on an adult reading group committee sure cuts into my reading for kids!

      Delete
  5. I like all the long e's in heat, sleep, dream, and sheets. And I love the blue black background.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always make me think of things in different ways. Tonight I'll wait for the sleep stallions to gallop in. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Keri. It really was an exercise in punning. My 5th Poem Swap poem is another punny one! I don't know what came over me this summer. I'll share all five on August 23, so come back!

    ReplyDelete