Featuring cherita!


April 14, 2018

Ekphrastic April, Day 14: "Violets"

You may have noticed the lack of women artists of color represented in my Ekphrastic April offerings. Sadly, the list of women artists, who, in the past, were recognized for their talents, is small compared to the list of men. Even sadder is the smaller list of African-American women artists. My search was made more difficult by limiting my choice of artists to painters, and, those whose work is in the public domain. I did find Pauline Powell Burns [1872-1912]. "Violets" is reported to be in the National Museum of African American History and Culture collection, but a search at the NMAAHC site came up empty. Still, I found the painting at an art auction site, and, since the work was produced prior to the artist's death in 1912, I'm certain it is in the public domain.


"Violets" by Pauline Powell Burns [1872-1912].

hubbub at the hive

bees understand
nothing of the trade-off

when an artist
divests the garden
of its violets


© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment