Featuring cherita!


April 22, 2019

Ekphrastic April 2019, Day 22: "Salem Willows"

This one is for my friend, Andrea, who has a fast and true connection to Salem Willows in Salem, MA.


"Salem Willows" (1904) by Maurice Prendergast [1858-1924].

an hour's long stroll
to catch up with friends

at Salem Willows

the youngsters never able
to get their fill of popcorn
and Brown's Flying Horses


© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.


A cherita is a haiku-like poem of three stanzas that tells a "story." The first stanza is one line and sets the scene. Stanza two is two lines, stanza three is three lines. A cherita terbalik is a cherita with the order of the stanzas rearranged.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for this, Diane. You put The Willows in a time capsule I can open whenever I please. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This painting makes me wonder where the men are (I see a boy or two, maybe one man). A female gathering of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the era depicted in the picture was one in which class still reigned. In the hot weather, upper class men stayed "in town" to conduct business, while their wives and children (and staff) headed to the seaside, or the mountains, for the summer months to get some relief.

      Delete