Featuring cherita!


June 27, 2009

Mea Culpa! and Newser

I'll be the first to admit that I'm one of those who have contributed to the death of newspapers. I haven't picked up one in years. I'm kind of torn over that, too, because I rely so heavily on old newspapers when I'm doing research for nonfiction projects. I find the loss of newspapers totally depressing when I think about not being able to read small ads, or view photos of relatively insignificant events, which would never be deemed worthy of archiving digitally. I know the Wayback Machine, a.k.a. Internet Archive, is attempting to collect online resources, since it has as its stated goal, "building a digital library of Internet sites and other cultural artifacts in digital form," but who is making the decisions about what should or should not be included? I guess only time will tell.

In sitting down to write, I got a little off my original topic which was Newser

I wanted to introduce you to Newser, which substitutes as a newspaper in my life. It pulls together stories from all over, many of which I never would have found without Newser. It summarizes a story and provides a link if you want to read the entire piece.

As you can imagine, Newser is full of Michael Jackson related stories today, from one explaining where the single glove prop came from, to another revealing a secret stash of over 100 songs that Jackson had recorded for his three children.

Being a curious person, I guess that despite the demise of paper newspapers, I'll always find a way to discover items of interest, especially if there are sites like Newser around.

No comments:

Post a Comment