Featuring cherita!


March 31, 2012

If It Ain't Broke...

You may or may not remember that last year I wrote a Poetry Friday post about soda crackers, a.k.a. saltines. I got quite a good response from others who get excited about saltines, too. So, when I read a piece on the latest change to saltines, I knew I had to share it with my saltine-loving readers. The piece by Dave Hill is titled, "The Last Thing I Need", and it deals with the reintroduction of saltines in a new shape--round.

And, if we're to believe Mr. Hill's rather salty rant, they've changed the taste, too! OMG! I haven't seen the new round saltines, but he's got me so curious that I will be on the lookout for them. (I checked the Nabisco website, and didn't see anything about round saltines. I wonder if Mr. Hill is pulling our legs?)

I can't believe they would change the taste of a saltine. It's blasphemy! In case you think I'm being a little over-the-top calling it blasphemy, the definition of the word is "impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things." Now, if saltines aren't sacred things, I don't know what is. They've been a part of almost every American kid's life for even longer than I've been alive. Who doesn't consider a saltine and butter "sandwich" as one of childhood's great gustatory pleasures?
crumbs fly
as she talks and chews
--buttered saltines

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.
Musician Jack White has just released a single called "Sixteen Saltines." He performed it several weeks ago on SNL. I hope you like your saltines loud!

2 comments:

  1. According to Nabisco, the new round saltines are being test marketed in New England and Metro New York. In August they will decide whether to impose them on everyone or stick with the original square crackers.

    I got this in a response from Nabisco when I complained about their new round format. Oddly, I live well north of Metro New York, and west of New England.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous--I looked for the new round saltines and found them here in New Hampshire the other day. I bought a box of the whole grain ones and to my surprise, I like them! I haven't yet tried the plain ones. I can see Nabisco making both square and round, but I don't see the point in replacing one with the other. Thanks for your input!

    ReplyDelete