Featuring cherita!


April 3, 2021

Ekphrastic April, Day 3: "Peace Monument and U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C."

I don't believe I've used a photograph in my prior three years of Ekphrastic April posts.  Nor have I included living artists since I only use works in the public domain, but, after yesterday's incident at the US Capitol, I'm using a photograph by a living woman!  Carol M. Highsmith has donated her work to the Library of Congress and has designated them in the public domain.  The photo I selected, "Peace Monument and U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C." is reflective of April 2021 when once again we weep and wish for peace.

 


"Peace Monument and U.S. Capitol, Washington, D.C." (between 1980 and 2006) by Carol M. Highsmith [1946-].

 

this year of debility

many misguided souls
see the people's house
as a fortress to be scaled

we trust it will not crumble
under the weight of fear

 

© Diane Mayr, all rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. I hope that those who are misguided would find the truth, that the Capitol is there for our safety. Thanks for this poem wish, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many cases, "truth" is lost to those who would be told what to think and feel.

      Delete